Hey Heather, it's me again.

Status update: the Kelvin situation

<-- home

Hey Heather! It’s me AGAIN!

I have in fact fixed Kelvin. S-U-C-C-E-S-S, that’s the way you spell success! It turns out my diagnostic was corrrect, the issue was with the compressor relay. I ended up picking up a 3-in-1 universal relay from an appliance repair joint. I had naively thought that bringing the piece needing replacing would suffice. That assumption was wrong. They needed the model of the refrigerator which I had forgotten. Although they would’ve had to order the part anyway and I didn’t want to wait around for that. Enter the universal relay, capacitor and overload device (ok so I changed more than just the relay). It cost less than $20! When I had gone to the repair shop I overheard an employee mention that it costs about $75 for a visit from a technician. Which is money I would rather spend on a new used fridge if it had come to that. Had the issue been the compressor itself, I would’ve switched. I shopped around a bit and saw that those things can cost anywhere from $150 to $700. And that’s not including labor since it’s not a DIY kind of task. I mean for those prices I could just replace the whole thing. What a waste that would be! But thankfully I needn’t worry about that anymore.

So that’s out of the way now. Cooling can continue. Although I think I’m going to leave it unplugged for a while since it’s still empty. I have a temporary hack for keeping some provisions cold where I put a few beers and jars of food between my two back doors. It works pretty well!

« Prev:Fixing my fridge Next »Building a shell - fork() in the road
home